Local Area Guide: Things to do / Activities / Attractions
- Bryson City Bicycles - Bike shop with both road and mountain bike rentals.
- Tsali Cycles - Bicycle rentals and sales
- Mountain & road biking - Area trail and bike rental information.
- Tsali Recreation Area - Complete trail information.
- Harrah's Cherokee Casino - 24-hour gaming, restaurants and entertainment venue
- Museum of the Cherokee Indian - An educational and interactive experience that retraces the 11,000 year history of the Cherokees.
- Oconaluftee Indian Village - You’re transported back to witness the challenges of Cherokee life in the 1760s.
- Qualla Arts and Crafts Mutual - The oldest Native American Arts cooperative in the US. Pottery, basket weaving, carving, and tool-making on display and for sale.
- "Unto These Hills" Outdoor Drama - Traces the Cherokee people through the eons, through the zenith of their power, through the heartbreak of the Trail of Tears, ending in the present day.
DRIVING, RIDING & HIKING
- Appalachian Trail - 88 miles of trails in NC. Explore the Nantahala, Cheoah Bald and Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
- Blue Ridge Parkway - "America's Favorite Drive" starts in Cherokee. Beautiful mountain vistas, wildflowers, hiking, picnicking.
- Cades Cove - Lush valley surrounded by mountains. Wildlife sitings, historic buildings.
- Cataloochee Valley - Elk can be seen regularly in the fields, especially in the early morning and evening hours. Other wildlife commonly spotted include bear, deer, and turkeys.
- Cherohala Skyway - Scenic 50 mile drive from Robbinsville NC to Tellico Plains TN. Leisurely drive with overlooks; highest elevation 5,400 ft.
- Deals Gap - Tail of the Dragon - 118 curves in 11 miles. Perfect for sports cars and motorcycles.
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park (GSMNP) - Hiking, beautiful vistas including Clingman's Dome observation tower.
- Guided walks and hikes in the Smokies - Tours for all ages and activity levels.
- Hiking - Easily accessible area hiking trails.
- Horseback riding - Stables for guided rides, or bring your own horse.
- Nantahala Village Riding Stables -- Horseback
riding in the Nantahala National Forest.
Reservations suggested. Call 828-488-9649
- Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest - One and two-mile loop trails through virgin timber forest.
- Slickrock Creek Wilderness Area - Trails pass through forests, by waterfalls and cascades.
- Snowbird Wilderness Area - Great creek fishing for native trout.
FISHING & BOATING
- Cherokee Fishing Map- Tribal waters fishing map -- be sure to get the special tribal permit!
- Boat Rental On Fontana Lake - Pontoon and 20 hp boat rentals at closest marina to Bryson City.
- Fishing Lakes & Streams - Fly fishing in mountain streams, lake fishing, fishing guides.
- Fontana Lake & Dam - 29 mile long lake with 238 miles of shoreline. Fishing, boating, water-skiing.
- Lake Santeetlah - Fishing, boating, swimming beach, picnicking.
- Up Close Outfitters - The Carolina's Premier Fishing and Hunting Guide Service
- Blue Chip Fly Fishing - Have you ever wanted to learn fly-fishing or experience some of the best trout fishing in the country? Check out Blue Chip Fly Fishing. Western NC is a fisherman's paradise with the first and only fly fishing trail in the US. Fly-fishing isn't the only way to reel them in -- there's fishing on Fontana Lake and at local trout farms as well.
- Get NC Fishing License Online
- Click Here for more fishing information
- The Fun Factory- Games, mini golf, bowling, go-carts, laser tag, restaurants and more.
- Santa's Land Fun Park and Zoo - Amusement park rides, petting zoo, Santa's Workshop.
- Cherokee Fun Park - Go Karts, Mini Golf, Specialty Rides and More!
- Sequoyah National Golf Club - Robert Trent Jones II designed 18-hole, par 72 course.
- Smoky Mountain Country Club - Thomas Walker designed 18-hole, par 70 course.
- Biltmore House and Gardens - Vanderbilt home, gardens and winery.
- Mountain Farm Museum - 100-plus-year-old log house and farm buildings.
MUSIC & ENTERTAINMENT
- Music in the Mountains on Saturday Nights - Bryson City Train Depot, 6:30 - 8 pm, June - October. Free.
- Smoky Mtn Center for Performing Arts - Nationally known musicians and entertainers.
- Stecoah Valley Center Gallery & Music - Summer music series in renovated schoolhouse. Artisans gallery open all year.
- Nantahala Brewing Company - The Nantahala Brewing Company hosts a family and pet friendly taproom & open air deck. With over a dozen original ales & beers on tap at any time. Most Summer weekends feature live “music on tap” and there are always sports on the big screens.
OUTDOOR TOURS & RIDES
- Jet boat rides on Fontana Lake - 30-40 minute boat rides and hike/ride/picnic packages.
- Nantahala Gorge Canopy Tours - 11 zip line sections, 5 sky bridges soar over 20 scenic acres.
- Wildwater Jeep Tours - 2 hour waterfalls tour in the Nantahala Gorge area.
- Endless River Adventures - White water rafting, fly fishing, kayaking and more
- Nantahala Outdoor Center - Rafting and kayaking, restaurants, shops, bike rentals.
- Wild Water Rafting - Class I - III rapids over 8 miles of fun.
- Raft with kids on the Tuckaseigee - Family rafting - fun & adventure for children as young as 4.
- Tubing - Deep Creek & Oconaluftee - Mountain tubing - an easy float or a wild whitewater ride.
- Great Smoky Mountains Railroad - Excursions for any age, theme events, dinner trains.
- Smoky Mountain Train Museum - 7,000 Lionel™ engines, cars and accessories, impressive operating layout, children’s activity center.
- Cataloochee Ski Area - Fourteen slopes and trails that are 25% beginner, 50% intermediate, and 25% advanced to expert.
- Avanti a Mobile Spa - Swedish or hot stone massage packages. We come to you!
- Fusions Healing Center & Spa - 10% Off All Services for GSCR guests. Yoga, massages, facials and more!
- Nurture Wellness Studio - Yoga - Massage - Acupuncture. Enjoy the opportunity to Nurture your Mind, Nurture your Body, and Nurture your Soul.
- NC Smokies Waterfalls - Easily accessible WNC waterfalls in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Cherokee, & Highlands NC areas.
Disclaimer: The links provided are for trip planning purposes only. Trip planning decisions are at the sole discretion of the guests. Great Smokys Cabin Rentals makes no claims or recommendations regarding these third party vendors and assumes no responsibility for guest’s experiences with the vendors. For additional information regarding a company or alternative recommendations, please consult the local chambers of commerce.
FishingDid You Know? The First and Only Fly Fishing Trail in the USA is right here in Western North Carolina! With 15 spots, this is Fly Fishing Heaven. Click Here for a complete map of the Trail
We're also home to some of the best fishing -- The Oconaluftee River running through Whittier, NC, and Cherokee, NC, is the best stocked river in the Southeastern United States. Click Here for a Map of Cherokee Fly Fishing
Show your prowess and take a chance to win Thousands of Dollars at one of the upcoming tournaments.
If tournament fishing isn't your speed, one of the local trout farms is a great way to go -- especially for little ones.
Fly Fishing Tournaments:
For just an $11 entry fee and a $10 day permit, complete for tagged fish in the Qualla Boundary. Prizes can be redeemed at the Fly Fishing Museum of the Southern Appalachians.
Harrahs Cherokee Casino and Event CenterWith 150,000 Feet of gaming, Harrahs Cherokee also has superb restaurants and great concerts and shows.
Harrahs Casino features:- Live Table Games (Blackjack, Craps, Roulette)
- Video Poker
- Video Gaming
- "Le Fu Men" Table Games (Baccarat and Blackjack with an Asian Flair)
- Casino Poker
Looking for some great entertainment during your stay in the Smokies! Harrah’s Cherokee Casino Resort Event Center has everything from comedy to country to rock & roll.
Celtic Woman -- Don't miss Home For Christmas - The Symphony Tour on December 9th at Harrahs Cherokee. Click Here for More Information.
Air Supply is coming back to Harrah's Cherokee! Don't miss them on January 13th, get your tickets today!
Jamey Johnson is coming back to The Event Center at Harrah's Cherokee on January 28th! Tickets went fast for his last show so be sure to get yours before they're gone!
- PURPLE REIGN - THE PRINCE TRIBUTE SHOW
You don't want to miss Purple Reign: THE Prince Tribute Show live in The Event Center at Harrah's Cherokee on Saturday, February 18th! Come see the show that has risen to international acclaim and recognition as the world’s number one Prince tribute! Get your tickets today!
Join us for an unforgettable evening with Grammy Award Winner Michael Bolton on Friday, February 24th. The perfect show to experience with that someone special so get your tickets today!
Harrahs Restaurants Include:
- Brio Tuscan Grille
With authentic Italian dishes, Brio offers causal dining with the motto of "to eat well is to live well".
Average Entrée Price is $25 - $40
Click Here for Brio's Lunch Menu
Click Here for Brio's Dinner Menu
- Ruth's Chris Steak House
The classic steakhouse with USDA prime steaks and a world-class wine list with 225+ choices.
Average Entrée Price is $40+
Click Here to Make a Reservation
Click Here for the Dinner Menu
- Noodle Bar
With dim sum, noodle soups, and house specialties, the Noodle Bar offers cuisine with Far East flavors.
Average Entrée Price is $15 - $25
Noodle Bar Menu
- Selu Garden Cafe
Your favorite dishes plus an all you can eat buffet a short walk from the casino floor.
Entrée Price is $15 - $55
Click Here for Selu Garden's Breakfast Menu
- Chef's Stage Buffet
With tastes from around the world - Italian, Mexican, Asian, comfort food and more!
Average Entrée Price is $15 - $25
- Pizzeria Uno
Located in the newest food court, Pizzeria Uno features Italian favorites: thin crust pizzas, calzones, and fresh pasta entrees.
Average Entrée Price is $10